The last of my corner to corner blanket designs is complete (does happy dance).
I’ve had this one sat on my computer for months as I designed it along with the Christmas Robin last year but didnt get around to bringing it to life.
This month however the tiny human has began ballet classes which aside from meaning I have to be up at an almost ungodly hour on a Saturday, she loves, which made it the perfect timing to make a start on this blanket.
I added the slight personalisation originally as I had decided to keep hold of this finished make for my daughter as she often tries to pinch them before they leave for their forever homes but I love the look of the letter in the corner so I’ve made the pattern available with a chart for each letter of the alphabet.
I tried out a few border options before settling on the shell you can see in the photos.
I love the vintage feel it adds to the blanket especially paired with the dusty pink yarn.
As you can see in the photos the pattern makes a blanket that covers a small person nicely. Its not a full single bed size but measures approx 28″x38″ which wraps around my 5 year old perfectly.
The pattern is listed here and comes with the full 26 charts, corner to corner instuctions, photos and directions for adding the border, its a fully packed PDF.
I hope you enjoy making this one as much as me, and I look forward to see the different colourways used.
I’ve also listed the finished blanket here in a very limited amount so you can buy one made to order if you are not a crocheter, it is a very limited amount however as they do take a long time to make.
A little while ago Hobbycraft asked me to design a spring make for them to feature on their blog. After doing a crazy lady happy dance I put my thinking cap on and thought of everything that reminds me of spring; Easter, baby chicks, lambs, bright flowers, blossom, pastel colours, the list was long.
In the end I hopped onto Hobbycraft and took a look at the yarn, to offer some additonal inspiration. I knew I wanted to use Aran weight yarn and at least one side would be corner to corner to add some texture.
As soon as I spotted the WI Home cotton yarn and all the pretty pastel colours I knew thats what I wanted to use. The colours reminded me of a spring bouquet and so I wanted to make something with flowers.
The design evolved naturally and I got rebellious with the back panel picking colours at random for the stripes rather than keeping them in a uniformed format.
I’m a huge fan of reversable pieces as I love how you can change the look of a room and freshen it up by just flipping the cushion/throw etc over.
This design is really simple and only a few basic stitches are needed. Hope over to Hobbycraft here for the free pattern if you fancy making the cushion yourself.
The WI home cotton yarn iteself is gorgeous, it creates beautifully neat textured stitches and is sturdy enough to make a quality feeling cushion cover without being too bulky and heavy. The colour options are all happy sunny shades that are perfect for any spring make you can put your hook to. I am already thinking up my next creation with it!
If you do make the cushion please remember to tag me as I love to see your creations and variations.
What feels like absolutely forever ago I brought some yarn in various shades of navy and blue in both cotton and acrylic with plans to finally add a little crochet to our house and in particular our bedroom which has recently had an overhaul and been decorated in a beautiful new navy and copper theme.
Life and more importantly work got in the way and it’s been ever so patiently waiting for me to pick it up and get creating.
Create I did last week when I finally had a chance to sit down and whip up the first item I desperately wanted to add to the room….a cushion.
I made the crochet front piece first and used the moss stitch (also called the linen stitch) working 14 rows in each of the 4 colours and then 2 rows in between of a mix between the colours either side to create a more subtle ombré effect.
I’d measured my cushion first and then the height of the crochet after 14 rows of white to make sure it would be the correct size and fit.
We had brought some navy curtains when decorating the room but they were too long so I had cut the excess off and hemmed them, keeping hold of the excess so I could use it to back my cushion.
I cut a square of the fabric slight bigger than the crochet square so it wasn’t stretched too much once the insert was in there and then I also added about 3-4 inches to the top.
I used this extra material to fold over onto what would be the inside of the cushion and create a pillowcase fold. You know the little flap inside a pillow case that holds the pillow in. A quick sew along the sides and the fold was secure.
I then blanket stitched around 3 sides of the fabric piece in the darkest navy coloured yarn and single crocheted into those blanket stitches.
The front crochet piece is attached to the back fabric with a simple whip stitch around the 2 sides and bottom. The top is left open with the pillow fold.
I’m so pleased with how this cushion has turned out. It looks as good as one you could buy from a shop and yet it’s truly unique.
I’ve still got plenty of fabric and yarn left some I’m thinking a new design is in order!