I think it’s happened to most of us at some point or another and it always crops up at the least convenient of times.
Writers call it writers block, artists; creative block but us crocheters, well we call it ‘loosing our crojo’ our crochet mojo of you will. Much to my dismay this is exactly what hit me recently. Everything I tried failed, I couldn’t think of anything new and exciting and even the usual works in progress were boring me. I just wasn’t getting any enjoyment for all the projects I attempted.
Therefore I set about finding a good pallet cleansing project that would hopefully kick start my inspiration and passion again. Now I wouldn’t call this a pallet cleanser as it ended up being neither quick or easy which are generally key points however it did make me determined to finish and helped me push through the block.
Enter stage left the latest cardigan for the tiny human.
All I can see are things I would like to change and tweak, which is common when I’ve created my own pattern. Thankfully the little lady was a big fan and put it on straight away.
I’ve used a beautiful yarn by Wendy called Fleur in the colourway Allium. It’s a DK weight yarn that is a mix of cotton, acrylic and Tencel giving it a super soft slightly fluffy brushed texture.
It took a little over 1 ball for the whole cardigan and I’ve used a mixture of stitches including the star stitch to create lots of texture.
I got carried away with lots of little details on this one and it just never quite seemed to be finished, but this does mean we have a lovely ribbed edging, and a crab stitches collar.
I’ve written the pattern up for this sizing along with measurements for adjusting as you need and it will be available for free on the blog next week!
The last of my corner to corner blanket designs is complete (does happy dance).
I’ve had this one sat on my computer for months as I designed it along with the Christmas Robin last year but didnt get around to bringing it to life.
This month however the tiny human has began ballet classes which aside from meaning I have to be up at an almost ungodly hour on a Saturday, she loves, which made it the perfect timing to make a start on this blanket.
I added the slight personalisation originally as I had decided to keep hold of this finished make for my daughter as she often tries to pinch them before they leave for their forever homes but I love the look of the letter in the corner so I’ve made the pattern available with a chart for each letter of the alphabet.
I tried out a few border options before settling on the shell you can see in the photos.
I love the vintage feel it adds to the blanket especially paired with the dusty pink yarn.
As you can see in the photos the pattern makes a blanket that covers a small person nicely. Its not a full single bed size but measures approx 28″x38″ which wraps around my 5 year old perfectly.
The pattern is listed here and comes with the full 26 charts, corner to corner instuctions, photos and directions for adding the border, its a fully packed PDF.
I hope you enjoy making this one as much as me, and I look forward to see the different colourways used.
I’ve also listed the finished blanket here in a very limited amount so you can buy one made to order if you are not a crocheter, it is a very limited amount however as they do take a long time to make.
I’ve finally had some inspiration strike for what to do with the second Caron Cake I brought ages ago.
I was determined to get the ball off my shelf and made into something but 1 ball limited my options so I decided to throw another colour into the mix.
As the yarn itself is various shades of pink I opted to keep it simple with white.
Sometimes keeping it simple really is the best option and as I wanted the Caron cake yarn to do the talking I avoided any complicated stitches and chose the humble granny stripe with a colour change every 2 rows.
The finished blanket ended up measuring approx 30″x50″ making it the ideal size for prams and cots, or even tucking in 4 dolls at once if you’re in our household! 😉
For the edging I worked a couple of rows in white and finished it off with a final row of picots.
I’ve seen a few people not too impressed with the abrupt colour changes on these cakes but I really don’t mind them at all if they are used in the right project. I adore the ombré effect throughout the blanket and the sharp distinct colours. It’s really helped this look like a modern take on a classic stitch and blanket.
I’ve listed this absolute beaut of a blanket in the shop if you’d like to give it a home. It would make a fabulous baby shower gift if you know someone expecting.
This was a lovely project to do as it worked up so quickly and is definitely the sort of blanket you can cosy up on the sofa with and watch TV. There’s no complicated counting of stitches or mathematics involved it’s just repetitive stitches creating a subtle zig zag effect.
Lately it seems like I’ve made lots of typically ‘girly’ makes so I decided it was time to focus on something a bit different.
Miss P loves unicorns, mermaids and pink fluffy things but she also loves cars, monsters and dinosaurs so they needed to feature in my work too!
The unicorn hooded scarf has been a brilliant seller since it was released and it’s a fab pattern designed by The Velvet Acorn. You can see why when it’s so fun but still fabulously functional.
It seemed like an obvious choice therefore, to make a dinosaur version!
The horn, ears and mane have been swapped out for Dino spikes in a fab teal colour and the pockets kept simple and tassel free.
It’s been a big hit with the little lady already and is so perfectly snuggly. We’re now fully set for the colder weather once summer is over.
The hood is listed in my shop already and there are a few colour choices to pick from.
I hope you all love this as much as we do.